Six prominent women from the Denair area were honored Wednesday night for their achievements in and contributions to agriculture.
The ceremony at the Denair High School theater was held to mark the 50th anniversary of girls being allowed to join Future Farmers of America or FFA and participate in its vocational training and events.
More than 100 people attended the event, including representatives from the Stanislaus County Farm Bureau, local legislators, the Denair Unified School District, CSU Stanislaus, Modesto Junior College, and the local ag community.
Those honored were:
- Nancy Nielsen Harris (Ag in the classroom)
- Bonnie Troedson Muller (Muller Berry Farms)
- Debbie McDiffet Nutcher (Nutcher Milk Co.)
- Linda Berendt Prock (Ray-Lin Dairy)
- Ruby Swanson Sperry (Sperry Dairy)
- Debbie Smith Zylstra (Edwin H. Smith & Sons)
The six women – all of whom have dedicated their adult lives to agriculture — were nominated by the Denair Community Resource Team and ultimately selected by the Denair Agriculture Education Department.
Wednesday’s event was hosted by Denair High FFA, which has 213 members this year. Many of them will be showing animals and entering ag-related projects in the Stanislaus County Fair this summer.